Skip to main content

Strange The Dreamer BY Laini Taylor | Book Review



PUBLICATION YEAR: 2017

GENRE: Fantasy

PAGE COUNT: 532

FORMAT: Paperback

AVAILABLE  ONLINE  : amazon


This book had been in my wish list for so long .This features in the recommended book list of almost all of my favourite book tubers who have been raving about it since it released back in 2017.  It is currently on the news due to the release of the second book in the series “The Muse Of Nightmares”. The premise which revolves around the life of a librarian who dreams of a world that has mysteriously lost its existence seemed fascinating.  Hence I was pretty psyched about  it.

Synopsis-

The story is about a librarian named Lazlo Strange who is obsessed with the mythical lost city of Weep. He spends most of his time researching and dreaming about this place.  So, One day when a hero called Godslayer from the city of Weep came looking for recruiting people/ warriors who could protect Weep from some unknown threats, he grabbed this opportunity with both hands. This story is essentially about this mission involving these group of warriors trying to help the Godslayer and simultaneously unravelling the mysteries surrounding Weep.

The story also follows another character called Sarai who is believed to be a Godspawn living in a secluded place along with her four other Godspawn friends- Ruby, Sparrow, Feral and Minya . These  are the children of Gods and hence possess some magical powers.  They had survived the dreadful Carnage where the Godslayer had killed their parents  in order to save humanity many years ago.

The story as written in the synopsis at the back of the book doesn’t say anything about this second perspective which I found quite strange because Sarai seemed more or less like a  main lead to me which drove the story forward along with Lazlo Strange . May be it was deliberately done by the author to provide a mysterious aura about this character.

The  writing style was extremely poetic which was a good thing because it helped me visualise this beautiful magical  world . I was quite impressed by some of the descriptions of events. But at the same time , it also hindered my enjoyment for the book .

Sample this- “ blood pooling in her eye sockets and dripping down to catch in her lush mouth”.

I don’t mind flowery writings in books anymore but  I get easily overwhelmed when I see lyrical writing in epic/high fantasies such as this one . The reason is simple -   First of all , I am trying to get acquainted with this new magical whimsical world setting . Secondly, I am   trying to learn and remember the peculiar names of the characters , places , mythical beings and their vast historical background  . So such ornamental descriptions of simple events  added extra pressure to my already struggling  reading experience.

As far as the characters are concerned, they were absolutely lovely and relatable .  The main character Lazlo Strange was one of the sweetest characters that I have read so far. He was lovely and compassionate. I loved how he constantly tried to help a certain arrogant character who was rude to him throughout the story. You cannot help but root for this guy to get whatever he set out to achieve. The other main character was Sarai who was interesting and had some really great moments in the story. It was mysterious and confused at first , but as the story progressed, we got to know her better . i also loved all her friends who were hilarious . Every time they were in a chapter, it brought a smile to my face.  I also liked how this book had no stereotypical villains. All the bad actions/behaviour was somehow justified. It was difficult to actually hate anyone. I don’t agree with some of the things that the alleged bad guys did , but I still ended up empathising them.

Pacing was a big  issue with this book . It was extremely slow and the story did not move for most parts at the beginning.  The author took a lot of time introducing the main leads. The flowery descriptive language made it even slower. However things started to progress somewhere in the middle . Unfortunately it became annoyingly slow again as we moved towards the climax.

Plot was also problematic for me. For the first one fourth of the book, I was confused and had no idea what the story was. I somehow reached the middle after much struggle and by this time I had a vague idea of where the story was heading.  At this moment, I felt like it had the potential to become a favourite fantasy book of mine. Unfortunately, the story took a different trajectory and somehow became a love story. It was cute to read but I did not pick this book for romance . I wanted fantasy and action and something thrilling that would blow my mind, instead I got pages and pages of romantic scenes in dream sequences.

Funny fact- there was a scene where Lazlo is on probably his millionth romantic dream sequence and by this time , I was fed up reading these scenes. I was literally thinking of waking this guy up. My wishes came true when in the next chapter itself, someone threw a stone to wake him up. I could not be more GLAD ... LOL 😃

  By the time we reached climax, I was praying for some action so that I could overlook these flaws. Unfortunately the ending killed all the fun . The climax was disappointing and the few plot twists failed to deliver the required shock effect.

 However I loved the world setting .  It was breathtaking and the lyrical writing style made it even more appealing. I was also fascinated by  the idea of this story about a city which has lost its name and existence. The cultural representation and all the history surrounding this setting was what kept me going. it also had some absolutely beautiful quotes such as this –

 “ Life won't just happen to you, you have to happen to it ”

I really wanted to love this story as I loved the characters and the world setting. Also, the idea/concept was totally out of the ordinary . I am also in awe of the author for creating such a beautiful setting with her extraordinary writing style.  But at the end ,  it turned out to be a mediocre read for me due to the uneven pacing and the meandering plot  .  Although,  I don’t regret  reading this book  ,  I am quite certain  I am not going ahead with the series.  This just isn’t my cup of tea.

RATING — 🌕🌕🌕🌗  (3.5/5)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafon | BOOK REVIEW

TITLE: The Angel’s Game (Book 2 Of   Cemetery of Forgotten Books series) AUTHOR: Carlos Ruiz Zafon ( Spanish) TRANSLATOR : Lucia Graves PUBLICATION YEAR: 2008 GENRE: Literary Fiction (Mystery, Thriller) PAGE COUNT: 504 FORMAT: Paperback AVAILABLE   AT : amazon   The Shadow of the Wind ( see review here )  by Carlos Ruiz Zafon featured in my favourite books list of last year. I remember buying the next book in the series The Angel’s Game almost immediately after finishing it. I was so impressed by the writing and plot that I had to read all the books from this author- translator duo. Considering this being a part of series called Cemetery of Forgotten Books , I was under the impression that this book was either a prequel or sequel to The Shadow of the Wind . But after reading a few chapters , I realised that although the story was set in Barcelona and features the infamous Cemetery of Forgotten Books (which was also a

CHENNAI BOOK FAIR 2019 | The Books I Bought

In my New Year Resolution tag ( see here ) , I kinda promised myself to finish my TBR pile before going on my next book shopping spree. As expected I managed to break my resolution even before 2 weeks of setting it. The reason – CHENNAI BOOK FAIR 2019 . I went to the book fair yesterday and bought a couple of books.   I know...   I have absolutely no SELF CONTROL whatsoever. But in my defence, these books were available at really cheap prices . Also , might I add this book fair was the best I have ever been to.   I ended up straining my leg muscles due to all the walking around and checking out each and every stall . By the time I reached my house , I had severe headaches and leg pains – but all of this was totally WORTH IT...!! 😊 Following are the books I bought – 1.        The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga – I heard about this book back when I was preparing for my competitive exams . I was memorising the current affairs and that is when I learnt that this book had won

RADIO SILENCE by Alice Oseman | Book Review

TITLE: Radio Silence AUTHOR: Alice Oseman PUBLICATION YEAR: 2016 GENRE: Young Adult Contemporary + LGBT Fiction PAGE COUNT: 403 FORMAT: Paperback AVAILABLE   AT : amazon   I came to know about this book through booktube . There was a booktuber who in one of her   videos started crying while talking about it. I was really taken aback by that. It was really heartening to see how a certain book can bring out such overwhelming emotions . I checked out   a few more reviews- all of which were positive   before buying this one. It was unanimously rated as a 5 star book . Obviously my expectations going into this book were super high. The story is about a girl named Frances who is extremely studious . She calls herself a study machine. Other than academics, the only thing she is obsessed with is a YouTube show UNIVERSE CITY /RADIO SILENCE . Her happiness knew no bounds   when one day, the mystery creator   impressed by her fan art   asked her to create some ar