Skip to main content

The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafon | BOOK REVIEW


TITLE: The Angel’s Game (Book 2 Of  Cemetery of Forgotten Books series)

AUTHOR: Carlos Ruiz Zafon ( Spanish)

TRANSLATOR : Lucia Graves

PUBLICATION YEAR: 2008

GENRE: Literary Fiction (Mystery, Thriller)

PAGE COUNT: 504

FORMAT: Paperback

AVAILABLE  AT : amazon

 The Shadow of the Wind (see review here) by Carlos Ruiz Zafon featured in my favourite books list of last year. I remember buying the next book in the series The Angel’s Game almost immediately after finishing it. I was so impressed by the writing and plot that I had to read all the books from this author- translator duo. Considering this being a part of series called Cemetery of Forgotten Books, I was under the impression that this book was either a prequel or sequel to The Shadow of the Wind. But after reading a few chapters , I realised that although the story was set in Barcelona and features the infamous Cemetery of Forgotten Books (which was also a part in The Shadow of the Wind) , it definitely reads as a standalone. I may call it a companion series but in no way is it a continuation of any kind.
I was super excited going into this book obviously. I read the first couple of chapters and I knew it was going to be a favourite. I was getting the same vibe that I was getting while reading The Shadow of Wind. Just like the first book, it was also set in Barcelona with the main protagonist being obsessed with a certain book and its characters. The writing style was beautifully atmospheric which took me back to that era in which it was set. I was happily enjoying the ride when somewhere approaching the middle I started feeling bored. I had such a hard time keeping up with the story and the innumerable cast of characters. I was soon losing interest and in order to  make sure that I don’t quit , I was desperately trying to find reasons on why I should continue it. Honestly, the only reason that I could come up with was its beautiful writing .

The story is set in Barcelona  and follows a young man named David Martin who makes his living by writing sensationalist novels under a pseudonym. He had his share of ups and downs in life since childhood. Eventually a rich man named Pedro Vidal took him and gave him an opportunity to work as a journalist. There he started writing sensational stories for the newspaper and  That is how he ended up becoming a writer for a hugely popular crime series. Things started getting messy when he discovered that he had tumour. It was at this moment when  a French publisher Andreas Corelli asked him to write a controversial book on religion. In exchange Andreas was willing to not only cure his illness but also offered a huge sum of money. Unable to resist such a lucrative offer, he starts working on the novel but soon finds himself muddled in a deep dark mystery which could potentially harm his soul.
Reading the above synopsis , it is pretty apt to say that the story is undoubtedly intriguing . I thought the same and found the premise of the book extremely fascinating . The first half was fast paced and things were happening left , right and center. I was thoroughly enjoying it . However I couldn’t find any substance once the synopsis /premise part was over. It started getting messy and confusing.
The characters were also not up to the mark. A majority of them were so forgettable that I had to go back and check their names while writing this review. The  main lead David was a writer and we were told that he was a book lover , but seldom do we see him devour a book or even write a page.  Correct me if I am wrong but the only time that I can remember him talking immaculately about books was when he was describing a bookstore where he says ,

One of the peculiarities of Barcelo’s bookshop was that books were spoken about as if they were exquisite wines , catalogued by bouquet, aroma, consistency and vintage.
The only side character that I truly loved was a teenage girl named Isabella . She was funky , cool and I adored her banter with David.  I also loved the friendly dynamic between David and a bookshop owner named Sempere. The conversations between these guys filled my heart with warmth and joy. I was secretly hoping to see more of these two side characters. The antagonist Andreas was so clichΓ©d and ridiculously boring.

The writing was the only saving grace for me . As mentioned before , I finished it solely for the writing style. The descriptive writing managed to give me the chills at the right time. The narrative was peppered with beautiful quotes such as this- "In this rotten world nothing is worth a single centimo if there isn’t someone to share it with.”

I know it is unfair to compare this book with The Shadow of Wind but hear me out- just like this one, The Shadow of Wind also had complicated plot and a huge cast of characters which could have potentially made it a confusing book . But what worked for it were the endearing characters and a believable plot. This one however, lacked amazing characters and the open-for-interpretation climax managed to leave a bitter taste in my mouth.
Overall it was a disappointing read for me probably due to my high expectations . But it isn’t  a bad book in any way . It is a well written book with a superb premise but unfortunately for me , the bad outweighed the good at the end. If you like historical fiction with some mystery/ thriller elements or if you are a big fan of the author’s previous work , this one’s for you.

RATING- πŸŒ‘πŸŒ‘πŸŒ‘ (3/5)

Comments

  1. I am sure that you will come up with such relevant posts in the future as well. I anticipate your next post.Today's Best Deals for Books | Best Discounts for Books | Online Coupons for Novel

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that you are exactly following the formal format of reviewing a book :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that you are exactly following the formal format of reviewing a book :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

CHENNAI BOOK FAIR 2019 | The Books I Bought

In my New Year Resolution tag ( see here ) , I kinda promised myself to finish my TBR pile before going on my next book shopping spree. As expected I managed to break my resolution even before 2 weeks of setting it. The reason – CHENNAI BOOK FAIR 2019 . I went to the book fair yesterday and bought a couple of books.   I know...   I have absolutely no SELF CONTROL whatsoever. But in my defence, these books were available at really cheap prices . Also , might I add this book fair was the best I have ever been to.   I ended up straining my leg muscles due to all the walking around and checking out each and every stall . By the time I reached my house , I had severe headaches and leg pains – but all of this was totally WORTH IT...!! 😊 Following are the books I bought – 1.        The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga – I heard about this book back when I was preparing for my competitive exams . I was memorising the current affairs and that is when I learnt that this book had won

RADIO SILENCE by Alice Oseman | Book Review

TITLE: Radio Silence AUTHOR: Alice Oseman PUBLICATION YEAR: 2016 GENRE: Young Adult Contemporary + LGBT Fiction PAGE COUNT: 403 FORMAT: Paperback AVAILABLE   AT : amazon   I came to know about this book through booktube . There was a booktuber who in one of her   videos started crying while talking about it. I was really taken aback by that. It was really heartening to see how a certain book can bring out such overwhelming emotions . I checked out   a few more reviews- all of which were positive   before buying this one. It was unanimously rated as a 5 star book . Obviously my expectations going into this book were super high. The story is about a girl named Frances who is extremely studious . She calls herself a study machine. Other than academics, the only thing she is obsessed with is a YouTube show UNIVERSE CITY /RADIO SILENCE . Her happiness knew no bounds   when one day, the mystery creator   impressed by her fan art   asked her to create some ar