Skip to main content

BOOK REVIEW - A Monster Calls by PATRICK NESS


PUBLICATION YEAR: 2011
GENRE: Children’s Fantasy/ Young Adult Fantasy
PAGE COUNT: 237
FORMAT: Paperback
AVAILABLE  AT : amazon


I first heard about “A Monster Calls “ when I was flipping through the channels one day , and I happened to stumble upon the movie . It seemed interesting but since only a few portions of the movie was left, I did not watch it. I googled the movie and found out  that it was adapted from a book by Patrick Ness . That’s how I ended up buying this book. I am so glad I bought it because  While reading this book , I knew it had the potential to be my favourite . And my guess was right. It has indeed  become my new favourite.😍

The story follows a boy Conor  who is dealing with a lot of problems everyday. His mother is suffering from cancer and has been undergoing treatment for years. His father stays abroad and rarely visits him. He has to stay with his difficult and overbearing grandmother. He is also bullied constantly by a group of boys in school . Apart from that , he gets these horrible nightmares that gives him sleepless nights. However one day, a monster arrives and tells him that he is going to tell three stories which will help him deal with his issues . And in return, Conor  has to tell his “own true story “ that he has been hiding  from everyone.

As mentioned before, I knew this book would become my favourite while I was reading it. I loved the story and  absolutely adored  the way it was written.  The story  gave me all sorts of life lessons  and evoked some serious emotions inside me which were beautiful. It spoke to me and even made me cry a couple of times . The writing style was nice and became a bit lyrical at times which added beauty to the plot. The descriptions were so vivid that I was able to visualise while I was reading. It also contained some really beautiful lines that I cant help myself from quoting a few -

  You dont write your life with words . You write it with actions . What you think is not important. It is only important what you do .

Stories are wild creature  , the monster said. When you let them loose, who knows what havoc they might wreak?

Your mind will believe comforting lies while also knowing the painful truths that make those lies necessary . And your mind will punish you for believing both. 

The main character Conor was absolutely relatable. I felt empathy and sympathy towards the poor boy who had to go through this rough patch at such a young age. He is shown as someone who is constantly angry, sad and just wants to be left alone . This accurate potrayal of him made this story seem very realistic. 

Although there is a monster in the story, it is not a horror story at all. Infact, it is an extraordinary tale  of love, loss and hope . The monster played a major role in helping Conor deal with his unfortunate situation and ultimately  face his inner demons.  The three stories told by him were captivating . But the best thing was how all those three stories intertwined at the end and made sense to the overall plot. 

It was an incredibly fast paced read. I could have finished this book in one sitting but I did not want the story to end and hence  took my time to completely absorb myself in the story . I was entertained throughout. The way the plot was unveiled was extraordinary .  There was always  a foreboding sense of something terrible was going to happen.  I mean just the fact that a young boy has to deal with all these trauma  could be disturbing to some people but everything was done in such a subtle way, that it did not pose a problem to me. It made me teary eyed though.

It was  an emotional and heartfelt read  with a message so powerful ,  it will stick with me forever. Definitely my new favourite and hence highly recommended.

RATING- 🌕🌕🌕🌕🌕 ( 5/5 ) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafon | BOOK REVIEW

TITLE: The Angel’s Game (Book 2 Of   Cemetery of Forgotten Books series) AUTHOR: Carlos Ruiz Zafon ( Spanish) TRANSLATOR : Lucia Graves PUBLICATION YEAR: 2008 GENRE: Literary Fiction (Mystery, Thriller) PAGE COUNT: 504 FORMAT: Paperback AVAILABLE   AT : amazon   The Shadow of the Wind ( see review here )  by Carlos Ruiz Zafon featured in my favourite books list of last year. I remember buying the next book in the series The Angel’s Game almost immediately after finishing it. I was so impressed by the writing and plot that I had to read all the books from this author- translator duo. Considering this being a part of series called Cemetery of Forgotten Books , I was under the impression that this book was either a prequel or sequel to The Shadow of the Wind . But after reading a few chapters , I realised that although the story was set in Barcelona and features the infamous Cemetery of Forgotten Books (which was also a

CHENNAI BOOK FAIR 2019 | The Books I Bought

In my New Year Resolution tag ( see here ) , I kinda promised myself to finish my TBR pile before going on my next book shopping spree. As expected I managed to break my resolution even before 2 weeks of setting it. The reason – CHENNAI BOOK FAIR 2019 . I went to the book fair yesterday and bought a couple of books.   I know...   I have absolutely no SELF CONTROL whatsoever. But in my defence, these books were available at really cheap prices . Also , might I add this book fair was the best I have ever been to.   I ended up straining my leg muscles due to all the walking around and checking out each and every stall . By the time I reached my house , I had severe headaches and leg pains – but all of this was totally WORTH IT...!! 😊 Following are the books I bought – 1.        The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga – I heard about this book back when I was preparing for my competitive exams . I was memorising the current affairs and that is when I learnt that this book had won

RADIO SILENCE by Alice Oseman | Book Review

TITLE: Radio Silence AUTHOR: Alice Oseman PUBLICATION YEAR: 2016 GENRE: Young Adult Contemporary + LGBT Fiction PAGE COUNT: 403 FORMAT: Paperback AVAILABLE   AT : amazon   I came to know about this book through booktube . There was a booktuber who in one of her   videos started crying while talking about it. I was really taken aback by that. It was really heartening to see how a certain book can bring out such overwhelming emotions . I checked out   a few more reviews- all of which were positive   before buying this one. It was unanimously rated as a 5 star book . Obviously my expectations going into this book were super high. The story is about a girl named Frances who is extremely studious . She calls herself a study machine. Other than academics, the only thing she is obsessed with is a YouTube show UNIVERSE CITY /RADIO SILENCE . Her happiness knew no bounds   when one day, the mystery creator   impressed by her fan art   asked her to create some ar