Skip to main content

BOOK REVIEW- Children Of Blood And Bone BY Tomi Adeyemi

PUBLICATION YEAR: 2018
GENRE:  Fantasy
PAGE COUNT: 525
FORMAT: Paperback
AVAILABLE  AT : amazon

There is a lot of hype around this book. Everyone from the Book tube community has been gushing about it ever since it released this year. It was an instant bestseller and very soon it is going to be adapted into a movie . When the hype around a book is of this epic proportion, one tends to set extremely high expectations going into it. This leads you to end up either loving it or hating it. I am happy to report that I absolutely loved it .

It is an African inspired fantasy story that is based on a land called Orisha where magic has been eradicated by the current monarchy. The people with magical powers were called Maji and after a certain age they tend to acquire certain powers . These powers included being a healer, reaper, burner, the ability to read minds etc. But a decade ago, the ruthless King Saran wiped out magic and killed every maji in a Raid leaving behind their children who are now treated as second class citizens. One of the many maji who was killed during the raid was the mother of our main protagonist Zelie.  After a decade long suffering of torture and abuse, she finally gets an opportunity to restore magic in her land. With the help of her brother Tzain and a rogue princess Amari  , she sets out on a dangerous mission . In this mission , she is  required to collect some artefacts and take them to a holy temple where magic can be brought back.

The story is told in multiple perspective by the 3 main characters- Zelie, Amari and Inan. Zelie, as told above was the daughter of one of the maji who was killed by King Saran during the raid. She has all the markings of a maji . She is fearless, strong and determined to bring magic back in order to protect her family and her tribe from the brutalities of the king and his army. 
Amari is the princess and daughter of the evil King Saran . She had her doubts about her ruthless father and the day  she became sure of it, she ran away from the palace  . She stole one of the artifacts required  to bring magic back and accompanied Zelie in her mission.
Inan is the prince and son of King Saran.He is the main antagonist in Zelie’s mission and gives a very hard time .

Apart from these three main characters, we also see a fascinating cast of other characters who played significant roles. Amari was my favourite of the three followed by Zelie . Zelie had all the characteristics that one expects from a hero . Amari , on the other hand , had the best character graph throughout the story. We see her evolve from a shy introvert princess to a strong woman who is determined to fight for justice.  Inan was perhaps the weakest when it came to character development. . Throughout the story, we see a confused and indecisive prince  torn between  deciding what’s right and what’s wrong.

The best part about the story was that it was more than just action and magic . Most epic fantasies tend to focus on the action/magic part but this story had human emotions and drama in equal amounts . We feel for the characters and the empathize for the trials and tribulations they have to go through. We get to see two romantic plot lines – one was cutesy ,innocent  and the other was extremely intense. Both were written  in a beautiful way which helped in taking the story forward . Apart from the romance, we also see two fantastic portrayal of sibling relationships. One is between Zelie and her brother Tzain. Both are extremely protective of each other and are willing to die for one another. Inan and Amari  are the other brother- sister duo who share a strange yet sweet bond which grows as the story progresses. I also loved the rival turned friendly vibe  between zelie and amari. It is always refreshing to see female bond in stories.😊

As far as the magic system was concerned , it was pretty straightforward and easy to understand. The terminologies used to describe magic can be intimidating at first but it is described in such a beautiful way that I was able to get through easily.
This  book definitely stood out from all the other fantasy books that I have consumed  recently . The fantasy tropes are unique and unconventional .  For instance, the people  ride on lionaire , panthenaires, etc instead of horses or vehicles  . The costumes, religion and even the people were unique. 😊

It was a page turner for me. It was thrilling and entertaining . It was so fast paced that it did not feel like I was reading a 500 pages long  book . This might be due to the fact that the chapters were really short and every chapter ended with something gripping which made me craving for more. As a result of that, I flew through the book.

Trigger warning for abuse, torture, violence and bloodshed. It did not shy away from showing some extremely violent scenes which added substance  to the narrative.

Also don’t forget to check out the Author’s note at the end of the book where Tomi Adeyemi talks about her inspiration behind  this story and requests  us to relate it to the current world and show some empathy towards all those innocent women and helpless kids who become a prey to police brutalities on a daily basis.
It is definitely one of the best books I read this year . It deserves all the accolades and hype in the world and I suggest you give it a try.👍


RATING - 🌑🌑🌑🌑🌑 ( 5/5 )

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafon | BOOK REVIEW

TITLE: The Angel’s Game (Book 2 Of   Cemetery of Forgotten Books series) AUTHOR: Carlos Ruiz Zafon ( Spanish) TRANSLATOR : Lucia Graves PUBLICATION YEAR: 2008 GENRE: Literary Fiction (Mystery, Thriller) PAGE COUNT: 504 FORMAT: Paperback AVAILABLE   AT : amazon   The Shadow of the Wind ( see review here )  by Carlos Ruiz Zafon featured in my favourite books list of last year. I remember buying the next book in the series The Angel’s Game almost immediately after finishing it. I was so impressed by the writing and plot that I had to read all the books from this author- translator duo. Considering this being a part of series called Cemetery of Forgotten Books , I was under the impression that this book was either a prequel or sequel to The Shadow of the Wind . But after reading a few chapters , I realised that although the story was set in Barcelona and features the infamous Cemetery of Forgotten Books (which was also a

CHENNAI BOOK FAIR 2019 | The Books I Bought

In my New Year Resolution tag ( see here ) , I kinda promised myself to finish my TBR pile before going on my next book shopping spree. As expected I managed to break my resolution even before 2 weeks of setting it. The reason – CHENNAI BOOK FAIR 2019 . I went to the book fair yesterday and bought a couple of books.   I know...   I have absolutely no SELF CONTROL whatsoever. But in my defence, these books were available at really cheap prices . Also , might I add this book fair was the best I have ever been to.   I ended up straining my leg muscles due to all the walking around and checking out each and every stall . By the time I reached my house , I had severe headaches and leg pains – but all of this was totally WORTH IT...!! 😊 Following are the books I bought – 1.        The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga – I heard about this book back when I was preparing for my competitive exams . I was memorising the current affairs and that is when I learnt that this book had won

RADIO SILENCE by Alice Oseman | Book Review

TITLE: Radio Silence AUTHOR: Alice Oseman PUBLICATION YEAR: 2016 GENRE: Young Adult Contemporary + LGBT Fiction PAGE COUNT: 403 FORMAT: Paperback AVAILABLE   AT : amazon   I came to know about this book through booktube . There was a booktuber who in one of her   videos started crying while talking about it. I was really taken aback by that. It was really heartening to see how a certain book can bring out such overwhelming emotions . I checked out   a few more reviews- all of which were positive   before buying this one. It was unanimously rated as a 5 star book . Obviously my expectations going into this book were super high. The story is about a girl named Frances who is extremely studious . She calls herself a study machine. Other than academics, the only thing she is obsessed with is a YouTube show UNIVERSE CITY /RADIO SILENCE . Her happiness knew no bounds   when one day, the mystery creator   impressed by her fan art   asked her to create some ar