Skip to main content

The Miseducation Of Cameron Post BY Emily M. Danforth | Book Review


PUBLICATION YEAR: 2012
GENRE: Contemporary , LGBT Fiction
PAGE COUNT: 470
FORMAT: Paperback
AVAILABLE  ONLINE  : amazon

“The night Cameron Post’s parents died, her first emotion was relief . Relief they would never know that hours earlier, she’d been kissing a girl.”

After reading the above lines from the synopsis of this book, I was totally sold and bought it . But  when it came to actually reading it, I was a bit apprehensive.  To be honest ,it belongs to a  genre that I don't necessarily enjoy . In addition to that, it is a thick dense book with pretty small fonts . After being on my TBR pile for a long time, I finally decided  to pick it up and I am glad I did.

The story begins  when Cameron Post is 12 years old and her parents die of an accident. The first instinct when she hears this terrible news is Relief that her parents would never know that she had been kissing a girl lately. With this guilt in her heart, she starts to live with her conservative and religiously devout grandma and aunt in Montana. There she explores her sexuality through a couple of intimate encounters thereby trying  to figure out her sexual  inclination. In the meantime, she befriends a beautiful  girl named Coley Taylor. Soon people find out  about this intense friendship and subsequently Cam is sent to a conversion therapy/ center of sorts where she along with her other inmates try to figure out their “true self”.

 The writing was beautiful and heavily descriptive  which  made this an  extremely slow read for me.  Infact, parts of the  story that I learnt from the synopsis  was not even covered by the time I was halfway through the book  . Each and every activities and events were vividly described. For instance,  the first chapter has a description of  summer in such  a way that I literally started sweating while reading it . LOL  😄

Although this helped in visualising the narrative,  after a point I got extremely annoyed and bored. I thought the story was not moving at all. I was reading pages and pages of descriptions of mundane stuff like -  the way a certain hat looks on grandma’s head or some description of an abandoned hospital or how teenagers try to find ways to consume alcohol and smoke like crazy etc.

 Due to the beautiful writing style , I somehow managed to get through to the middle section of the book. But this was gradually starting to get on my nerves. Fortunately, things started to pick up in the second half.

The second half was incredible . It tried to tackle some serious hardhitting issues like sexuality, identity crisis and  parental pressure . The story started to pick up the pace and I almost flew through it. The narrative also became a bit light hearted despite of  those hard hitting subjects . We saw a funny Cameron and a few new characters were introduced who were so witty that they successfully  made the rather emotionally driven second half  bearable to read.
I had issues with the ending though . Since there was so much build up in the first half , I expected the ending to be explosive . Unfortunately the climax did not live upto my expectations.

Cameron as a character was extraordinary . We see her  grow with every incident  she encountered . In the first half of the book , she seemed naive and  was dominated by pretty  much everyone. But as the story progressed, she showed some major character growth by becoming strongly determined.  I liked her because not once did she make me feel pity for her . She never expected the reader to feel bad for her. Even when she was going through multiple unrequitted love situations during her teenage years, she held it together . Sometimes , I wondered  if I were in her place, I would have cried buckets . But that doesnt mean she was never hurt. It is just that she had good coping mechanisms and probably had the understanding  that life is all about moving on.

The thing with such huge hefty  books is that we see a lot of characters . Every character was well fleshed out . After finishing the book, I was able to remember all the side characters . This shows how impactful they were. Unfortunately  I  was disappointed at the end because the author gave all these characters quiet an abrupt ending. All her encounters with the different girls and boys  were elaborately explained.  I kind of  felt betrayed that after investing so much time, I was not told what happened to them at the end. 😏 😐

As far as the conversion therapy/ center is concerned , it surprised me the most. When I read the synopsis at the back of this book, I kind of  imagined this centre to be praticing some gruesome and harsh techniques to cure the so called “ homosexual sickness” of Cameron.  I was surprised to see that these guys whole heartedly beleived in what they were doing . They were simply  trying to help the people without any forceful imposition . Their reasonings also didnt seem  irrational and their methods were quite positive . It  seemed like something a good psychiatrist would do which was never brutal or judgemental in any way .

The sex and other intimate  scenes were aesthetically written. Hence it didnt make me cringe. The author has done a good job handling such scenes without making it creepy erotic. Hence, young adults and those readers who shy away from sex scenes wont have a problem reading it.

The book also lets us question the hypocrisy  of  our societal norms . There is a portion in the book where a devoutly religious character voices strongly against  homosexual acts  saying that it is a sin as prescribed in  religious texts  . However, the same character indulges in premarital sex (which is  also a sin according to the same  holy texts) .  

Also, TRIGGER WARNING at Chapter 18, page 380 which had a graphic description of self torture.

 It is a slow read and people who like to finish book at one sitting may find it a bit frustrating. In order to truly enjoy this book, it is better to read during vacations and enjoy each and every page .
Let it absorb you.
Immerse yourself in the life of Cameron Post regradless of whether or not you are an advocate for homosexuality because it not only covers  sexuality but also very  realistically depicts issues of teenage angst, self doubt , identity crisis and parental pressure which are topics we must  educate ourselves  with.

RATING- 💗💗💗💗 (4/5)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafon | BOOK REVIEW

TITLE: The Angel’s Game (Book 2 Of   Cemetery of Forgotten Books series) AUTHOR: Carlos Ruiz Zafon ( Spanish) TRANSLATOR : Lucia Graves PUBLICATION YEAR: 2008 GENRE: Literary Fiction (Mystery, Thriller) PAGE COUNT: 504 FORMAT: Paperback AVAILABLE   AT : amazon   The Shadow of the Wind ( see review here )  by Carlos Ruiz Zafon featured in my favourite books list of last year. I remember buying the next book in the series The Angel’s Game almost immediately after finishing it. I was so impressed by the writing and plot that I had to read all the books from this author- translator duo. Considering this being a part of series called Cemetery of Forgotten Books , I was under the impression that this book was either a prequel or sequel to The Shadow of the Wind . But after reading a few chapters , I realised that although the story was set in Barcelona and features the infamous Cemetery of Forgotten Books (which was also a

CHENNAI BOOK FAIR 2019 | The Books I Bought

In my New Year Resolution tag ( see here ) , I kinda promised myself to finish my TBR pile before going on my next book shopping spree. As expected I managed to break my resolution even before 2 weeks of setting it. The reason – CHENNAI BOOK FAIR 2019 . I went to the book fair yesterday and bought a couple of books.   I know...   I have absolutely no SELF CONTROL whatsoever. But in my defence, these books were available at really cheap prices . Also , might I add this book fair was the best I have ever been to.   I ended up straining my leg muscles due to all the walking around and checking out each and every stall . By the time I reached my house , I had severe headaches and leg pains – but all of this was totally WORTH IT...!! 😊 Following are the books I bought – 1.        The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga – I heard about this book back when I was preparing for my competitive exams . I was memorising the current affairs and that is when I learnt that this book had won

RADIO SILENCE by Alice Oseman | Book Review

TITLE: Radio Silence AUTHOR: Alice Oseman PUBLICATION YEAR: 2016 GENRE: Young Adult Contemporary + LGBT Fiction PAGE COUNT: 403 FORMAT: Paperback AVAILABLE   AT : amazon   I came to know about this book through booktube . There was a booktuber who in one of her   videos started crying while talking about it. I was really taken aback by that. It was really heartening to see how a certain book can bring out such overwhelming emotions . I checked out   a few more reviews- all of which were positive   before buying this one. It was unanimously rated as a 5 star book . Obviously my expectations going into this book were super high. The story is about a girl named Frances who is extremely studious . She calls herself a study machine. Other than academics, the only thing she is obsessed with is a YouTube show UNIVERSE CITY /RADIO SILENCE . Her happiness knew no bounds   when one day, the mystery creator   impressed by her fan art   asked her to create some ar