Skip to main content

The Book Of M by Peng Shepherd | BOOK REVIEW


TITLE: The Book Of M
AUTHOR: Peng Shepherd
PUBLICATION YEAR: 2018
GENRE: Dystopian, Fantasy
PAGE COUNT: 485
FORMAT: Paperback
AVAILABLE  AT : amazon

 Anything with the word “ BOOK” on the title of a novel is enough to draw my attention . And that’s exactly  what prompted me to pick up “ The Book of M” by Peng Shepherd.  The story is based on a dystopian world setting where people are losing their shadows and memories. With such a cool concept, I went into it with moderately high expectations.
While reading it, I kept on wondering of the consequences us humans have to face if this theory/concept  becomes a reality. How are we possibly  going to survive without our memories?

The story is told in 4 different perspectives – Ory, Max , Naz and someone who is referred to as “ The One Who Gathers”.  These people are living in a world where people are gradually losing their shadows and eventually their memories . Ory and Max are the husband – wife duo who had to face the wrath of this plague / epidemic or whatever you want to call  it. Max has just  lost her shadow and soon she is about to lose her memory.  Fearing that she could potentially  be  a threat to Ory’s life, she left him . This left Ory devastated and he went  on this mission to find her . During this mission , he came across a girl named Naz and a couple of other people who are trying to reach a mysterious guy who goes by the name of “ The One who Gathers” with the hope of finding a cure for this “ Forgetfulness”. The story basically revolves around all these 4 major  characters  who have set out on this journey to find the cure.
It was a lot more spooky than I had anticipated. This book is a weird mix of science, fantasy  and dystopian fiction wrapped into one crazy genre that sometimes even seemed like brutal  dystopian . Some scenes were so morose that I shut down the book for a while in order to process . Recently I saw  a movie called “ Annihilation” ( which was also based on a Dystopian Sci fi book) which disturbed the hell out of me. This book gave me similar vibes at times. Whenever I watch or hear a story where good  people  are compelled  to do some shady stuff ( like killing or any other morally ambigious deeds)  in order to save overall humanity makes me really uncomfortable and sad.

There were an eclectic mix of characters most of which I loved  but some of them fell flat. I can’t reveal much about these people because I fear in doing so  I might end up revealing some crucial plot twists.
The world was eerie and felt real at times.  The author ‘s writing style was a bit on the descriptive side through which  she successfully painted a vivid picture where I was able to visualise and feel the pain and miseries of these characters in this devastating world.

Now let’s talk about what I didn’t like about the book. I had two major issues with the story.
The first was the length of the book. I thought it could have been at least a hundred pages shorter. There was just too much travelling and the frequent battle / war sequences  bored me after a while . Some scenes didn’t even make sense to me .For instance- there is a scene of a talking wolf, a scene about  some shadowed elephant , and this last one will blow your mind- The statue of liberty takes the  human form and starts destroying the city. I had to re-read these  portions just to understand its significance to the story but I couldn’t figure it out.  So I told myself that may be the author put those cool elements to spice up the narrative.  
The other issue which bothered me  was that at the end , I was left with a lot of unanswered questions . Questions like –is this forgetfulness a virus or epidemic or magic ?  Why certain people lose their shadows whereas others don’t? What led to this Forgetfulness ? Also I couldn’t understand the ending where “ The One who Gathers “ was able to do  magical stuff.
I know it is “ not real”  and I should not expect any logical explanation  but I deserve to get  at least some made up fictional answers .
However, the ending moved me to tears. The last few sentences told by  my favourite character in the story was really emotional and sad.

** SPOILER SECTION**

It is astonishing how a single chapter can drastically change your opinion about a character. Throughout the novel , I was loving Ory and rooting for him to get back with Max. I was also at times resenting Max for leaving him . But at the end when Ory rejected Max just because she looked like Ursula , it angered me . I hated his guts and kind of empathised with Max.  I later tried to comprehend  that Ory had probably moved on with Naz. This last plot twist shook me. And the last sentence by Max left me with tears.

Overall, this book is enjoyable to read but don’t expect  any answers to the questions that may pop up in your head while reading it. It is like one of those movies where the viewers are expected to “ leave their brains behind “ and enjoy it solely for entertainment purpose. Read it for the cool concept, the dytopian setting and some really mind boggling plot twists – basically read it if you just want to have fun.

RATING- 🌕🌕🌕🌖 ( 3.75/5 ) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafon | BOOK REVIEW

TITLE: The Angel’s Game (Book 2 Of   Cemetery of Forgotten Books series) AUTHOR: Carlos Ruiz Zafon ( Spanish) TRANSLATOR : Lucia Graves PUBLICATION YEAR: 2008 GENRE: Literary Fiction (Mystery, Thriller) PAGE COUNT: 504 FORMAT: Paperback AVAILABLE   AT : amazon   The Shadow of the Wind ( see review here )  by Carlos Ruiz Zafon featured in my favourite books list of last year. I remember buying the next book in the series The Angel’s Game almost immediately after finishing it. I was so impressed by the writing and plot that I had to read all the books from this author- translator duo. Considering this being a part of series called Cemetery of Forgotten Books , I was under the impression that this book was either a prequel or sequel to The Shadow of the Wind . But after reading a few chapters , I realised that although the story was set in Barcelona and features the infamous Cemetery of Forgotten Books (which was also a

CHENNAI BOOK FAIR 2019 | The Books I Bought

In my New Year Resolution tag ( see here ) , I kinda promised myself to finish my TBR pile before going on my next book shopping spree. As expected I managed to break my resolution even before 2 weeks of setting it. The reason – CHENNAI BOOK FAIR 2019 . I went to the book fair yesterday and bought a couple of books.   I know...   I have absolutely no SELF CONTROL whatsoever. But in my defence, these books were available at really cheap prices . Also , might I add this book fair was the best I have ever been to.   I ended up straining my leg muscles due to all the walking around and checking out each and every stall . By the time I reached my house , I had severe headaches and leg pains – but all of this was totally WORTH IT...!! 😊 Following are the books I bought – 1.        The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga – I heard about this book back when I was preparing for my competitive exams . I was memorising the current affairs and that is when I learnt that this book had won

RADIO SILENCE by Alice Oseman | Book Review

TITLE: Radio Silence AUTHOR: Alice Oseman PUBLICATION YEAR: 2016 GENRE: Young Adult Contemporary + LGBT Fiction PAGE COUNT: 403 FORMAT: Paperback AVAILABLE   AT : amazon   I came to know about this book through booktube . There was a booktuber who in one of her   videos started crying while talking about it. I was really taken aback by that. It was really heartening to see how a certain book can bring out such overwhelming emotions . I checked out   a few more reviews- all of which were positive   before buying this one. It was unanimously rated as a 5 star book . Obviously my expectations going into this book were super high. The story is about a girl named Frances who is extremely studious . She calls herself a study machine. Other than academics, the only thing she is obsessed with is a YouTube show UNIVERSE CITY /RADIO SILENCE . Her happiness knew no bounds   when one day, the mystery creator   impressed by her fan art   asked her to create some ar