Skip to main content

Mini Reviews 2020 (Books 6-10) | Book Reviews


6.       Dry by Neal and Jarrod Shusterman- I am in awe of Neal Shusterman’s stories ever since I read SCYTHE . He comes up with interesting dystopian/utopian concepts that are relevant and something I foresee playing out in the near future.Dry is a frightening tale focusing on the deadly effects of water crisis in a town. It shows how an otherwise peaceful family friendly town converts into a war zone of sorts in the event of a disaster. Just like his other stories, this too felt very close to reality and something that could potentially happen to us someday.
It followed four different characters with their respective perspectives on this tragic situation. While reading , I was constantly trying to put myself in their shoes and wondered if I too would go to such despicable lengths in order to survive?
The other thing that stood out for me was how realistic it all felt because I remember literally being thirsty while reading some scenes depicting people getting parched.
Overall, it was an enjoyable reading experience which also made me think about being mindful when it comes to the usage and conservation of natural resources.
RATING- 5/5

7.       With The Fire On High by Elizabeth Acevedo- Any novel with food/cooking as its theme is a must buy for me.  The story is about a seventeen year old single mother who aspires to become a chef. She does a million things at once- she goes to school, takes care of her baby with a little assistance from her grandmother and also works at a food court. But the thing that truly defines her is her cooking skills . Despite the hectic schedule , she manages to whip up delicious food which touches people’s heart and soul.
I adored the family dynamic which kind of reminded me of the TV show Jane The Virgin. The supporting cast of characters were also adorable especially her best friend Angelica. The love interest in the story was a sweetheart. There was a smile in my face every time he was around.
With contemporaries like this, we come across a lot of recent pop culture references which is something I enjoy in books.
The food/cooking scenes were absolutely gorgeous and some recipes were worth trying. The beautiful cover page and those nice food illustrations further added to my enjoyment.
But the thing that stood out for me was the easy breezy writing style . I had a great time with this one.
RATING- 5/5
8.       Heartstopper: Volumes 1 & 2 by Alice Oseman- Lately there has been this craze for Graphic novels and Manga.  When I found out that Heartstopper written and illustrated by Radio Silence fame Alice Oseman is available on the internet, I decided to give it a try. It is a LGBTQ+ graphic novel about two best friends Nick and Charlie falling in Love. But the story is much more than just that. It covers hard hitting issues like mental health , sexuality, abuse and more. I had a good time but I believe I need to read a couple more graphic novels to rate this one. As far as my enjoyment level goes, it was ok for me.


9.       Kafka On the Shore by Haruki Murakami – It seems like Murakami is the current sensation in the fiction department. Back when I was in college, everybody was obsessed with Paulo Coelho. Further back, Khaled Hosseini with his Kite Runner was the flavor of the town. Anyways, Kafka on the Shore was my first time reading Murakami. There is no specific reason why of all his books , I chose this one. The synopsis at the back is so bizarre and outlandish that I kept this book on hold for a long time before finally gathering the courage to pick it up. The story follows two main characters- Kafka and Nakata. At the beginning of the story, a 15 year old Kafka runs away from his home due to his father’s dark prophecy ( and this is one gross prophecy involving incest, murder and more). Nakata is an old man with a strange ability to talk to cats. This is due to a freakishly bizarre childhood incident.
What I liked?
a)      The story has everything from talking cats to raining fish to ghosts . All these weird elements and the whole unpredictability of the plot kept me going.
b)      I love a book which is so outlandish and twisted that I come up with my own set of theories while reading. And it gives a sense of accomplishment when some of my predictions come true.
c)       The writing style sprinkled with some beautiful quote worthy lines was quite easy to follow.
d)      I found myself caring deeply about the interesting cast of characters.
What I didn't like?
a)      I was grossed out by certain contents involving incest and some pretty graphic descriptions of sexual acts. It’s a personal preference which makes me cringe and uncomfortable while reading any such content.
b)      The open ending climax frustrated me. I expect at least a satisfying ending when I read a 500 page long dense book . I even had to google to figure out what the ending implied.
Overall it was an average reading experience . Either Murakami or Magical Realism isn't for me. I also read on the internet that this book should be re-read at least once more to fully grasp the story which I am in no mood to do.
Rating- 3/5
10.   Red, White and Royal Blue by Casey Mcquiston – Everyone has been raving about this book ever since it released . It is touted as the best LGBTQ Rom-Com novel ever written. Unfortunately I didn't share this emotion and decided to quit it a little over halfway mark. I was enjoying the banter between the two main characters – Alex and Henry .  The cast of charming and superbly funny supporting characters engaged in some extremely hilarious conversations made me LOL. For some reason, Alex reminded me of David from the TV show Schitt’s Creek. I kept picturing him mouthing Alex’s dialogues. Henry as a royal prince of sorts was portrayed stereo typically. The thing that hindered my enjoyment was all the talks of politics and other administrative stuff which went over my head to even care. Also, I think it is a bit longer than required. It was taking me ages to read. I don't wish to rate a book that I haven’t finished but if I have to then it was close to a rating of 2/5 .

Happy Reading..!!!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafon | BOOK REVIEW

TITLE: The Angel’s Game (Book 2 Of   Cemetery of Forgotten Books series) AUTHOR: Carlos Ruiz Zafon ( Spanish) TRANSLATOR : Lucia Graves PUBLICATION YEAR: 2008 GENRE: Literary Fiction (Mystery, Thriller) PAGE COUNT: 504 FORMAT: Paperback AVAILABLE   AT : amazon   The Shadow of the Wind ( see review here )  by Carlos Ruiz Zafon featured in my favourite books list of last year. I remember buying the next book in the series The Angel’s Game almost immediately after finishing it. I was so impressed by the writing and plot that I had to read all the books from this author- translator duo. Considering this being a part of series called Cemetery of Forgotten Books , I was under the impression that this book was either a prequel or sequel to The Shadow of the Wind . But after reading a few chapters , I realised that although the story was set in Barcelona and features the infamous Cemetery of Forgotten Books (which was also a

CHENNAI BOOK FAIR 2019 | The Books I Bought

In my New Year Resolution tag ( see here ) , I kinda promised myself to finish my TBR pile before going on my next book shopping spree. As expected I managed to break my resolution even before 2 weeks of setting it. The reason – CHENNAI BOOK FAIR 2019 . I went to the book fair yesterday and bought a couple of books.   I know...   I have absolutely no SELF CONTROL whatsoever. But in my defence, these books were available at really cheap prices . Also , might I add this book fair was the best I have ever been to.   I ended up straining my leg muscles due to all the walking around and checking out each and every stall . By the time I reached my house , I had severe headaches and leg pains – but all of this was totally WORTH IT...!! 😊 Following are the books I bought – 1.        The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga – I heard about this book back when I was preparing for my competitive exams . I was memorising the current affairs and that is when I learnt that this book had won

RADIO SILENCE by Alice Oseman | Book Review

TITLE: Radio Silence AUTHOR: Alice Oseman PUBLICATION YEAR: 2016 GENRE: Young Adult Contemporary + LGBT Fiction PAGE COUNT: 403 FORMAT: Paperback AVAILABLE   AT : amazon   I came to know about this book through booktube . There was a booktuber who in one of her   videos started crying while talking about it. I was really taken aback by that. It was really heartening to see how a certain book can bring out such overwhelming emotions . I checked out   a few more reviews- all of which were positive   before buying this one. It was unanimously rated as a 5 star book . Obviously my expectations going into this book were super high. The story is about a girl named Frances who is extremely studious . She calls herself a study machine. Other than academics, the only thing she is obsessed with is a YouTube show UNIVERSE CITY /RADIO SILENCE . Her happiness knew no bounds   when one day, the mystery creator   impressed by her fan art   asked her to create some ar