Skip to main content

A Curse So Dark & Lonely by Brigid Kemmerer | BOOK REVIEW

TITLE: A Curse So Dark And Lonely

NAME OF SERIES : Cursebreaker Series

AUTHOR: Brigid Kemmerer

GENRE: Young Adult Fantasy, Fairy Tale Retelling

PAGE COUNT: 477

PUBLICATION YEAR: 2019

FORMAT: Paperback

BUY ONLINE: amazon

                                                         

 Letters to the Lost by Brigid Kemmerer is one of the very few Contemporary novels that I enjoyed. Romance/Contemporary genre is not my cup of tea, but that was one novel that pleasantly surprised me. So when I found out that her latest novel A Curse So Dark And Lonely  is actually a fantasy , I set up my mind that I am going to read this one irrespective of the polarizing reviews .

It is a Young Adult fantasy –  Beauty and the Beast retelling with a twist. My knowledge of the Fairy tale  Beauty and the Beast is limited to the Emma Watson’s Disney movie . I am not gonna lie , that movie failed to impress me . Despite that, I was still looking  forward to this book as every one in the book community has been talking about something called “  Angsty novels”  and since this one is believed to have that angst trope in abundance , I thought why not give it a go. Now after reading the story,  if this is what angst feels like , then I am totally up for more. Please recommend me more such stories preferably  in the fantasy genre in the comment section.

Before moving to my thoughts/review of the book, I would like to  take a moment to appreciate the beautifully mystical looking Front cover- Dark Blue cover with Silver writings. The cover itself gives us an idea of what to expect from the story.

SYNOPSIS- This Beauty and the Beast retelling is a YA fantasy following two different angles- Rhen and Harper. Rhen is a prince from the Emberfall kingdom who is cursed by an enchantress Lilith . As part of this curse, he has to relive his eighteenth year over and over until a girl truly falls for him. In the modern world A girl from Washington,DC named Harper  is accidentally sucked into Rhen’s world by his commander Grey. Does Harper fall in love with Rhen and eventually break the curse?

That is the basic gist of it .

With The above synopsis , I have barely scratched the surface of what the story is about. It is much more complex than that.

What I Liked?

1.        I can't believe myself saying this but I loved the romance in the story. Considering I hate reading romance with all my heart and soul , it is indeed too surprising . I liked how slow burn the romance felt throughout the book. A subplot involving a Love Triangle was also hinted at which I absolutely loved. I kept guessing which pair is going to end up falling in love .

2.       The main female lead Harper was an absolute bad-ass. She was fierce, feisty and full of spunk.  I enjoyed her perspective more than Rhen’s. She also had Cerebral Palsy which was represented in the story in a good sensitive  way , not in a sensational kinda way which writers often do .

3.       I loved the humor as well and found some sections in the story unintentionally funny. I say this because I am not sure if the author intended to invoke laughter from the readers at those points . But I found myself laughing at the sheer absurdity of some subplots. It felt almost comical which made me LOL.

4.       The supporting character Grey is undoubtedly my favorite and I kept wishing we could get his perspective.

5.       The elegantly detailed writing style and  the overall suspense helped in maintaining a steady pace .

6.       The ending /climax was packed with action and drama . That cliffhanger in the epilogue section- I didn't see it coming . I would say that the last 100 pages packed the maximum punch and prompted me to give this book a higher rating .

What I didn't Like?

1.       Some parts definitely felt a bit boring and predictable. But since it is a retelling , predictability was kind of a given. As far as boring bits go, there were very few and I was pulled back into the story in no time.

2.       The other issue also isn't that significant but still if I have to point out then I would say that Rhen was extremely  annoying as a character. But again, may be that was intended because the other characters in the story felt the same way about him. So I guess that was the motive.

So overall I enjoyed this one and definitely going to pick up the next book A Heart So Fierce & Broken in the series. Not to forget that mind blowing cliffhanger in the epilogue which has me all excited. Also, I just learnt that the next book has Grey as one of the POVs, so now I am doubly excited to read it.

RATING – 🌕🌕🌕🌕🌖 (4.75/5)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafon | BOOK REVIEW

TITLE: The Angel’s Game (Book 2 Of   Cemetery of Forgotten Books series) AUTHOR: Carlos Ruiz Zafon ( Spanish) TRANSLATOR : Lucia Graves PUBLICATION YEAR: 2008 GENRE: Literary Fiction (Mystery, Thriller) PAGE COUNT: 504 FORMAT: Paperback AVAILABLE   AT : amazon   The Shadow of the Wind ( see review here )  by Carlos Ruiz Zafon featured in my favourite books list of last year. I remember buying the next book in the series The Angel’s Game almost immediately after finishing it. I was so impressed by the writing and plot that I had to read all the books from this author- translator duo. Considering this being a part of series called Cemetery of Forgotten Books , I was under the impression that this book was either a prequel or sequel to The Shadow of the Wind . But after reading a few chapters , I realised that although the story was set in Barcelona and features the infamous Cemetery of Forgotten Books (which was also a

CHENNAI BOOK FAIR 2019 | The Books I Bought

In my New Year Resolution tag ( see here ) , I kinda promised myself to finish my TBR pile before going on my next book shopping spree. As expected I managed to break my resolution even before 2 weeks of setting it. The reason – CHENNAI BOOK FAIR 2019 . I went to the book fair yesterday and bought a couple of books.   I know...   I have absolutely no SELF CONTROL whatsoever. But in my defence, these books were available at really cheap prices . Also , might I add this book fair was the best I have ever been to.   I ended up straining my leg muscles due to all the walking around and checking out each and every stall . By the time I reached my house , I had severe headaches and leg pains – but all of this was totally WORTH IT...!! 😊 Following are the books I bought – 1.        The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga – I heard about this book back when I was preparing for my competitive exams . I was memorising the current affairs and that is when I learnt that this book had won

RADIO SILENCE by Alice Oseman | Book Review

TITLE: Radio Silence AUTHOR: Alice Oseman PUBLICATION YEAR: 2016 GENRE: Young Adult Contemporary + LGBT Fiction PAGE COUNT: 403 FORMAT: Paperback AVAILABLE   AT : amazon   I came to know about this book through booktube . There was a booktuber who in one of her   videos started crying while talking about it. I was really taken aback by that. It was really heartening to see how a certain book can bring out such overwhelming emotions . I checked out   a few more reviews- all of which were positive   before buying this one. It was unanimously rated as a 5 star book . Obviously my expectations going into this book were super high. The story is about a girl named Frances who is extremely studious . She calls herself a study machine. Other than academics, the only thing she is obsessed with is a YouTube show UNIVERSE CITY /RADIO SILENCE . Her happiness knew no bounds   when one day, the mystery creator   impressed by her fan art   asked her to create some ar