Skip to main content

Wundersmith by Jessica Townsend | BOOK REVIEW

TITLE: Wundersmith – The Calling Of Morrigan Crow

NAME OF SERIES : Nevermoor 


AUTHOR: Jessica Townsend

GENRE: Children’s Fantasy                              

PAGE COUNT: 404 

PUBLICATION YEAR: 2018

FORMAT: Paperback

BUY ONLINE: amazon        

 

I read Nevermoor : The Trials of Morrigan Crow by Jessica Townsend way back in 2018.( see review here) . I remember loving it as it reminded me of Harry Potter. Wundersmith is the second installment to this series . Just like its first counterpart, this too gave me strong Harry Potter vibes. I kept highlighting the parts that reminded me of HP and I found something similar in almost every chapter. I know it sounds like a rip off of HP but trust me its much much more. To call it  just another version of HP” is a huge disservice to the author who has written this wonderful piece of fiction.

SYNOPSIS- The first book Nevermoor followed a girl named Morrigan Crow who is believed to have been cursed . But on her eleventh birthday she is taken by her mentor, a  man named Jupiter North. He helps her navigate her way through to the prestigious Wundrous Society.

This story starts right where we left off . As soon as Morrigan enters the society, people start mysteriously disappearing and as expected she is held responsible for it. The story follows her trying to  get to the bottom of these strange occurrences.

What I liked?

1.       Writing style is where the book shines the most. The way the author tells the story is so incredible that I was simultaneously picturing the scenes as I was reading . It felt extremely visual and I applaud her ability to paint a vivid picture through her easy breezy writing style. The story was running like a movie in my head while I was reading it.

2.       The other aspect that stood out for me was also related to the writing style. The funny dialogues and banter among the characters  was such a charm to read. The main lead is definitely the most fascinating and funniest character ever. Her interactions with her equally funny supporting characters was nothing sort of a laugh riot. At one point I started laughing hysterically and my hubby looked at me as if I had gone insane.

3.       Anything that brings a nostalgic Harry Potter feel is definitely a winner for me. I think this is the kind of book I might end up re-reading a couple more times .

4.       The mystery element throughout the story was like the icing on the cake . It had the kind of thrill that keeps you on the edge of your seat.

5.       All the tropes found in a middle grade fantasy was beautifully woven into the story. It was so well done that it didn’t at any point seem predictable.

I have truly become a fan of this series and its author. I can't wait to get my hands on the next book “Hollowpox: The Hunt Of Morrigan Crow” which according to amazon is going to be out by October this year.

This is definitely one of those book series that I can't wait for my son to read when he grows up.

RATING- 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 (5/5)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafon | BOOK REVIEW

TITLE: The Angel’s Game (Book 2 Of   Cemetery of Forgotten Books series) AUTHOR: Carlos Ruiz Zafon ( Spanish) TRANSLATOR : Lucia Graves PUBLICATION YEAR: 2008 GENRE: Literary Fiction (Mystery, Thriller) PAGE COUNT: 504 FORMAT: Paperback AVAILABLE   AT : amazon   The Shadow of the Wind ( see review here )  by Carlos Ruiz Zafon featured in my favourite books list of last year. I remember buying the next book in the series The Angel’s Game almost immediately after finishing it. I was so impressed by the writing and plot that I had to read all the books from this author- translator duo. Considering this being a part of series called Cemetery of Forgotten Books , I was under the impression that this book was either a prequel or sequel to The Shadow of the Wind . But after reading a few chapters , I realised that although the story was set in Barcelona and features the infamous Cemetery of Forgotten Books (which was also a

CHENNAI BOOK FAIR 2019 | The Books I Bought

In my New Year Resolution tag ( see here ) , I kinda promised myself to finish my TBR pile before going on my next book shopping spree. As expected I managed to break my resolution even before 2 weeks of setting it. The reason – CHENNAI BOOK FAIR 2019 . I went to the book fair yesterday and bought a couple of books.   I know...   I have absolutely no SELF CONTROL whatsoever. But in my defence, these books were available at really cheap prices . Also , might I add this book fair was the best I have ever been to.   I ended up straining my leg muscles due to all the walking around and checking out each and every stall . By the time I reached my house , I had severe headaches and leg pains – but all of this was totally WORTH IT...!! 😊 Following are the books I bought – 1.        The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga – I heard about this book back when I was preparing for my competitive exams . I was memorising the current affairs and that is when I learnt that this book had won

RADIO SILENCE by Alice Oseman | Book Review

TITLE: Radio Silence AUTHOR: Alice Oseman PUBLICATION YEAR: 2016 GENRE: Young Adult Contemporary + LGBT Fiction PAGE COUNT: 403 FORMAT: Paperback AVAILABLE   AT : amazon   I came to know about this book through booktube . There was a booktuber who in one of her   videos started crying while talking about it. I was really taken aback by that. It was really heartening to see how a certain book can bring out such overwhelming emotions . I checked out   a few more reviews- all of which were positive   before buying this one. It was unanimously rated as a 5 star book . Obviously my expectations going into this book were super high. The story is about a girl named Frances who is extremely studious . She calls herself a study machine. Other than academics, the only thing she is obsessed with is a YouTube show UNIVERSE CITY /RADIO SILENCE . Her happiness knew no bounds   when one day, the mystery creator   impressed by her fan art   asked her to create some ar