Skip to main content

BOOK REVIEW - The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson

The FINAL EMPIRE by Brandon Sanderson is the first book of the MISTBORN trilogy.

 
 




 
 
PUBLICATION YEAR-2006
  GENRE- FANTASY
  PAGE COUNT- 643
  FORMAT- Paperback

 

 
While I was in my reading quest of exploring new genres, I came across something called epic fantasy or high fantasy . These are  fantasy themed books which are literally “epic” in terms of their  world setting , content and  characters. One of the best example of this genre is The Lord of The Rings by J R R Tolkien.  Fortunately I found The Lord of The Rings  in my local library but I could not muster the courage to read more than 3 pages . It was huge and too difficult for me to read.  I was disappointed and started searching for some other books belonging to this subgenre of fantasy. That is how  I came across  The Final Empire” by Brandon Sanderson.
 I was hugely intimidated by this book at first. It took me weeks to finally start it. With around 650 pages , this book was dense and the tiny font size did not help either. 😊

But I have to admit that once I started reading , I could not put it down. It took me a further two weeks to finish it but that is not a bad thing because throughout these two weeks , I thoroughly enjoyed each and every bit of it. I was totally immersed in its mind blowing world with its superb magical elements and of course the thrilling plot.
The story is based on a world  where the Dark Ruler( the main villain) has been ruling the people for thousands of years.  In this world, Ash falls from the sky and mists at night. People are divided into groups – Noblemen  and Skaa.  Skaa are the ones who are treated like slaves and noblemen constitute the elite class . Some people have magical powers which is called Allomancy which means they have the ability to consume certain  metals . Upon ingesting these metals , they acquire specific powers . For instance, consuming tin enhances your senses ,  brass soothes emotions and  pewter enhances strength . The people possessing these magic are called mistings and Mistborn are those who have some extra powers . I know it sounds very scientific and complex but once you go through the first 100 pages of the book , everything becomes easy breezy. Also the reference chart at the end of the book is of great help in order to understand this complex magic system . 
The story follows the two main characters – Kelsier and Vin on their quest to overthrow the Dark Ruler. It is kind of a heist story where both these characters accompanied by a spectacular crew try to bring justice to the people by going head up against the  Dark Ruler of the Final Empire. Both these characters possess magical powers to achieve their goals.
Kelsier is a man who is loved and respected by almost everyone due to his strength and will power. He was even a legend to some. He successfully assembled a group of people/rebels  including Vin to help him carry out this magnanimous plan of defeating the evil Dark Ruler. He possessed great  leadership qualities to keep his crew together . His determination to overthrow the powerful Dark Lord was  inspiring . Just the thought of  “taking down the Final Empire” is so gutsy . 😄
I personally enjoyed the female lead in this story- Vin. According to me, she was the life and soul of the plot. I absolutely loved her  incredible transformation from being a  hopeless  mistreated thieving crew to basically  becoming a  Hero who wants to overthrow the Lord Ruler. The character growth of Vin is extraordinary. At first , we see her as an introvert who keeps it to herself and follows orders of her superior . Then she grows as a strong headed determined person who is not afraid of anyone or anything.  Her internal struggles were so compelling that you cant help yourself but feel empathy.
But the only thing that bugged me about her was that I found her to be too good at the magic system . There was no explanation as to why and how  she was so good at something that she never attempted  before. Infact  she is apparently  better than  someone like Kelsier who has had years of practice in the Allomantic world. But I am pretty sure this will be explained in the next two books in the series.
The other flaw that I noticed in the plot is again related to Vin. I was not totally convinced with her love story . It was a little under developed . Loving and trusting someone only after a few brief meetings is a little surprising for me.
Apart from the two main lead , we get to meet a few other interesting characters who have significant roles to play. I particularly loved Sazed who plays a significant role in the crew. The Dark ruler had very few scenes but you could feel his presence in the narrative throughout.
The best part about the book was the well structured plot. There were enough twists and turns in the book that kept me engrossed. The most important thing was that  All these plot twists were not deliberate . I feel like a lot of authors try to put unconvincing plot twists in order to make things interesting. But this was not the case with this one. The plot twists  took the story forward making it a satisfying read. The last chunk (200 pages or so)  of the book were simply extraordinary. It kept me entertained till the end.
Even after finishing the book , I was left with questions which I am sure will be answered in  the next two books . There was no cliff-hanger situation in the climax , so this can also be read as a standalone book. But I personally cannot get enough of this world and the characters , so I have enough reasons to go ahead and  grab the next book in the series.
Overall , it was an epic read for me. Those who love fantasy are definitely going to enjoy this . And those who don’t  may find the first few  pages of this book as some kind of a brain exercise . But once the magic system and the fantastical elements are explained ,  it will grow on you .
RATING- 🌑🌑🌑🌑🌓  ( 4.5 / 5 )

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafon | BOOK REVIEW

TITLE: The Angel’s Game (Book 2 Of   Cemetery of Forgotten Books series) AUTHOR: Carlos Ruiz Zafon ( Spanish) TRANSLATOR : Lucia Graves PUBLICATION YEAR: 2008 GENRE: Literary Fiction (Mystery, Thriller) PAGE COUNT: 504 FORMAT: Paperback AVAILABLE   AT : amazon   The Shadow of the Wind ( see review here )  by Carlos Ruiz Zafon featured in my favourite books list of last year. I remember buying the next book in the series The Angel’s Game almost immediately after finishing it. I was so impressed by the writing and plot that I had to read all the books from this author- translator duo. Considering this being a part of series called Cemetery of Forgotten Books , I was under the impression that this book was either a prequel or sequel to The Shadow of the Wind . But after reading a few chapters , I realised that although the story was set in Barcelona and features the infamous Cemetery of Forgotten Books (which was also a

CHENNAI BOOK FAIR 2019 | The Books I Bought

In my New Year Resolution tag ( see here ) , I kinda promised myself to finish my TBR pile before going on my next book shopping spree. As expected I managed to break my resolution even before 2 weeks of setting it. The reason – CHENNAI BOOK FAIR 2019 . I went to the book fair yesterday and bought a couple of books.   I know...   I have absolutely no SELF CONTROL whatsoever. But in my defence, these books were available at really cheap prices . Also , might I add this book fair was the best I have ever been to.   I ended up straining my leg muscles due to all the walking around and checking out each and every stall . By the time I reached my house , I had severe headaches and leg pains – but all of this was totally WORTH IT...!! 😊 Following are the books I bought – 1.        The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga – I heard about this book back when I was preparing for my competitive exams . I was memorising the current affairs and that is when I learnt that this book had won

RADIO SILENCE by Alice Oseman | Book Review

TITLE: Radio Silence AUTHOR: Alice Oseman PUBLICATION YEAR: 2016 GENRE: Young Adult Contemporary + LGBT Fiction PAGE COUNT: 403 FORMAT: Paperback AVAILABLE   AT : amazon   I came to know about this book through booktube . There was a booktuber who in one of her   videos started crying while talking about it. I was really taken aback by that. It was really heartening to see how a certain book can bring out such overwhelming emotions . I checked out   a few more reviews- all of which were positive   before buying this one. It was unanimously rated as a 5 star book . Obviously my expectations going into this book were super high. The story is about a girl named Frances who is extremely studious . She calls herself a study machine. Other than academics, the only thing she is obsessed with is a YouTube show UNIVERSE CITY /RADIO SILENCE . Her happiness knew no bounds   when one day, the mystery creator   impressed by her fan art   asked her to create some ar