Skip to main content

Life Update- Current reads & TBR


It has been a while since I last posted on this blog. If you have read my last couple of blog or Bookstagram posts, then you may know that I was expecting and was having a tough time dealing with Morning Sickness. It is exactly 5 months since we were blessed with our adorable baby boy Zayaan. For those of you who are interested- Zayaan means “ beautifier” - one who makes everything beautiful. But these days all he does is make a mess of everything.😆

Life as a new mama is lovely but hectic. I rarely find the time or energy  to do the things that I used to love. However, lately I have managed to find a little bit of time to read. It feels good to be back. Last year despite  Pregnancy, Postpartum recovery and  taking care of a Newborn , I still managed to read 30 books.

 I won’t necessarily call this new beautiful phase of my life hard , it is just a bit taxing. My husband and I are raising him alone without any help. By the end of a day, I get physically and mentally exhausted and  all I want to do is sleep- even my bones want to sleep at times. To make matters worse, the essential 6-8 hours of sleep also feels like a luxury I can't seem to afford because he wakes up every 2 to 3 hours for feeding. Hopefully he will sleep through the night  once we start solid food when he reaches the 6th month mark. I still believe we are blessed with an easy going baby because I have heard horror stories of some mothers staying awake all night as their babies refuse to sleep at all. Recently When I posted a photo ( Follow me on Instagram) of me reading a book ,a friend ( who is also a new mama) called me and said she is surprised I even get the time to read.😊

Below are the books I am currently reading- 

Current Reads


1.       Children of Virtue and Vengeance by Tomi Adeyemi- This is a sequel to Children of Blood and Bone which I read back in 2018 (see review here) . This series is an African inspired Fantasy based on a land called Orisha where magic has been eradicated by the current monarchy.  The people with magical powers( called maji) are treated like second class citizens.
I am almost halfway through and enjoying it so far. To be honest, I was a bit skeptical about this book as I have seen people rate it quite low on goodreads. May be that's why I lowered my expectations going into this book. But I am pleasantly surprised because it is turning out to be quite enjoyable.

2.       Glimpses of World History by Jawarharlal Nehru- I have been reading this book on and off for almost a year now. It is a huge book of around 1000+ pages . It is basically a collection of letters that Nehru ji sent her daughter Indira to enlighten her on the rich histories of India as well as the World. It is extremely informative and never  feels like a boring history textbook. I am planning to read at least 2 letters everyday . I am in no hurry to finish this book because I want to soak in all the information.

TBR (To Be Read)


I rarely find the time or energy to read  but that has certainly not stopped me from my book buying spree. One of my top Bookish Resolution every year  is to first finish the books on my shelves before buying new ones. And just like always, this year too I failed miserably. Last couple of months , I have bought unhealthy amount of books online. But I have decided to keep my TBR pile short as I don't want to be overambitious with my reading. I have not been able to finish books at the rate I used to before- Motherhood has certainly taken a toll on my reading habits. So below is a short list of books that I plan on reading in the upcoming months.

1.       The Mistress of Spices by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni- I absolutely adore this author’s beautiful writing style. I have read two of her books- The Palace of illusions and The Forest of Enchantments which turned out to be my favorites. Her writing is simply enchanting. This story is about a young woman Tilo who runs a spice shop in Oakland,California. She  is well known for her unique magical ability by which she not only supplies ingredients but also helps her customers in achieving whatever they desire- CONFUSED by the synopsis ,Are you? Me too.. I guess I will have to read and find out.

2.       Vicious by VE Schwab- I have been meaning to read this book for so long . VE Schwab is yet another author whose books I will buy even without checking out the synopsis because I absolutely love the way she tells her story. Her stories are engaging and addictive.
      A side note on why this author is special to me ? - The Shades of Magic series by her helped me go through the tumultuous times during my pregnancy last year. It gave me the necessary escape I needed while I was going through an extreme case of morning sickness and mood swings.
      Vicious is about two highly ambitious friends who engage in some supernatural events that leads to their fall out.

3.       Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami – This is going to be my first Murakami book. There is no reason why of all the books, I picked this one. Honestly I am quite intimidated by it not just by its magnanimous size but also by its bizarre content. I couldn’t even understand its synopsis – it is that bizarre. (Read the goodreads synopsis here)
       
Apart from these three, I also want to listen to some Audiobooks . I have some pending credits on audible which I want to use as soon as possible. The Diviner series by Libba Bray which is superbly narrated by January LaVoy is on top of my list. I listened to the first book in the series and adored it  (see my review here).

Apart from reading, the other thing I miss is Blogging. I am not sure  if I can post regularly or as frequently as I used to , but I am definitely going to try. I already have a lot on my plate- don't want to burden myself with yet another commitment. 

So, that's more or less how my life's been lately - How is your life treating you?
And if you are a mother to a baby or a toddler, how do you find the time to read? Let me know in the comments.

Happy reading...!!! 

😆






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafon | BOOK REVIEW

TITLE: The Angel’s Game (Book 2 Of   Cemetery of Forgotten Books series) AUTHOR: Carlos Ruiz Zafon ( Spanish) TRANSLATOR : Lucia Graves PUBLICATION YEAR: 2008 GENRE: Literary Fiction (Mystery, Thriller) PAGE COUNT: 504 FORMAT: Paperback AVAILABLE   AT : amazon   The Shadow of the Wind ( see review here )  by Carlos Ruiz Zafon featured in my favourite books list of last year. I remember buying the next book in the series The Angel’s Game almost immediately after finishing it. I was so impressed by the writing and plot that I had to read all the books from this author- translator duo. Considering this being a part of series called Cemetery of Forgotten Books , I was under the impression that this book was either a prequel or sequel to The Shadow of the Wind . But after reading a few chapters , I realised that although the story was set in Barcelona and features the infamous Cemetery of Forgotten Books (which was also a

CHENNAI BOOK FAIR 2019 | The Books I Bought

In my New Year Resolution tag ( see here ) , I kinda promised myself to finish my TBR pile before going on my next book shopping spree. As expected I managed to break my resolution even before 2 weeks of setting it. The reason – CHENNAI BOOK FAIR 2019 . I went to the book fair yesterday and bought a couple of books.   I know...   I have absolutely no SELF CONTROL whatsoever. But in my defence, these books were available at really cheap prices . Also , might I add this book fair was the best I have ever been to.   I ended up straining my leg muscles due to all the walking around and checking out each and every stall . By the time I reached my house , I had severe headaches and leg pains – but all of this was totally WORTH IT...!! 😊 Following are the books I bought – 1.        The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga – I heard about this book back when I was preparing for my competitive exams . I was memorising the current affairs and that is when I learnt that this book had won

RADIO SILENCE by Alice Oseman | Book Review

TITLE: Radio Silence AUTHOR: Alice Oseman PUBLICATION YEAR: 2016 GENRE: Young Adult Contemporary + LGBT Fiction PAGE COUNT: 403 FORMAT: Paperback AVAILABLE   AT : amazon   I came to know about this book through booktube . There was a booktuber who in one of her   videos started crying while talking about it. I was really taken aback by that. It was really heartening to see how a certain book can bring out such overwhelming emotions . I checked out   a few more reviews- all of which were positive   before buying this one. It was unanimously rated as a 5 star book . Obviously my expectations going into this book were super high. The story is about a girl named Frances who is extremely studious . She calls herself a study machine. Other than academics, the only thing she is obsessed with is a YouTube show UNIVERSE CITY /RADIO SILENCE . Her happiness knew no bounds   when one day, the mystery creator   impressed by her fan art   asked her to create some ar