Skip to main content

Mid Year Book Freak Out Tag 2020 | BOOK TAG


                                 Best book you’ve read so far

Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson. It has become my all time favorite Sanderson novel(see review here). This fast paced high fantasy has everything from great characters to political intrigue to plot twists to hilarious dialogues – all the ingredients for a good time.                                                                             


Best sequel you’ve read so far

I have only read one sequel this year and that was Children of Virtue and Vengeance by Tomi Adeyemi  (see review here) . It was a decent enough sequel to the wonderful first book Children of Blood and Bone (see review here) .

New release you haven’t read yet, but want to

I just found out that Amish Tripathy has released his latest book “ Legend of Suheldev: The king who saved India” this month. As soon as the lock down is lifted , I am going to order this one and read.

Most anticipated release for the second half of the year

The invisible life of Addie Larue by my all time fave V.E. Schwab.

Biggest disappointment

Red, White and Royal Blue by Casie Mcquiston. This hyped book had one of the most sought after romance tropes- Enemies to Lovers . I absolutely loved the hilarious banter between the lovely cast of characters. However it was too long for a RomCom novel. So many details of political administration and some unnecessary drama ended up putting me in a slumpy mood.

Biggest surprise

I was pleasantly surprised by how much I loved Warbreaker. Of course, I knew it would be good because Sanderson's novels never disappoint me. But what was so amazing about this book was that I had the best time of my life reading it. This book came to my rescue at a time when I was really having a hard time.

Also, I was also surprised by how much of a disappointment the book Bunny by Mona Awad turned out to be. I was excited to read this one because it had everything that I usually enjoy in books- a weird plot and hilarious writing . I was not only unimpressed by it but also ended up getting extremely annoyed by the weirdness of it all.

Favorite new author ( debut or new to you )

Seanan mcguire . Her beautiful writing in the Wayward Children series is to die for. I devoured two of her books from this series and intend to read the remaining very soon.

Newest fictional crush

None unfortunately.

Newest favorite character

Lightsong from Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson. He is a side character in the book but I just loved his parts. I wish there was a book just centered around him.

Book that made you cry

There were two books that made me cry. First is a fiction novel called The Ministry of Utmost Happiness by Arundhati Roy.  Heartbreaking dark content with her raw and real writing style hit me right in the feels.

The other one is a non fiction I ‘ve never been Unhappier by Shaheen Bhatt. There were some triggering content that kept reminding me of my episodes with anxiety and depression in the past.

Book that made you happy

Warbreaker again...

 

Most beautiful book you’ve bought so far this year

With the Fire on High by Elizabeth Acevedo. It had a beautiful cover page and the cute little illustrations of food in every chapter was really good to look at.

What books do you need to read by the end of this year?

My TBR is too long to list out- but here's a few- Wundersmith by Jessica Townsend , Red rising series by Pierce Brown, Curse so Dark and Lonely series by Brigid Kemmerer  . I also want to finish Way of Radiance which I started way back in 2018. 

Favorite book community member

This year I discovered this booktuber called oliviareadsalatte . Her reading vlogs are a perfect mix of aesthetic shots and reading .A super cool personality with a really calming voice makes her content really something to look forward to.

Favorite review / blog post

I would say my life update blog post (see post here) which had me revealing some personal details of my pregnancy, labor and delivery made it special.

 

What are some of your favorites and disappointments from this year..? Kindly share your Midyear Book Freak Out tag 2020 edition in the comment section below...

Happy Reading....!!!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafon | BOOK REVIEW

TITLE: The Angel’s Game (Book 2 Of   Cemetery of Forgotten Books series) AUTHOR: Carlos Ruiz Zafon ( Spanish) TRANSLATOR : Lucia Graves PUBLICATION YEAR: 2008 GENRE: Literary Fiction (Mystery, Thriller) PAGE COUNT: 504 FORMAT: Paperback AVAILABLE   AT : amazon   The Shadow of the Wind ( see review here )  by Carlos Ruiz Zafon featured in my favourite books list of last year. I remember buying the next book in the series The Angel’s Game almost immediately after finishing it. I was so impressed by the writing and plot that I had to read all the books from this author- translator duo. Considering this being a part of series called Cemetery of Forgotten Books , I was under the impression that this book was either a prequel or sequel to The Shadow of the Wind . But after reading a few chapters , I realised that although the story was set in Barcelona and features the infamous Cemetery of Forgotten Books (which was also a

CHENNAI BOOK FAIR 2019 | The Books I Bought

In my New Year Resolution tag ( see here ) , I kinda promised myself to finish my TBR pile before going on my next book shopping spree. As expected I managed to break my resolution even before 2 weeks of setting it. The reason – CHENNAI BOOK FAIR 2019 . I went to the book fair yesterday and bought a couple of books.   I know...   I have absolutely no SELF CONTROL whatsoever. But in my defence, these books were available at really cheap prices . Also , might I add this book fair was the best I have ever been to.   I ended up straining my leg muscles due to all the walking around and checking out each and every stall . By the time I reached my house , I had severe headaches and leg pains – but all of this was totally WORTH IT...!! 😊 Following are the books I bought – 1.        The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga – I heard about this book back when I was preparing for my competitive exams . I was memorising the current affairs and that is when I learnt that this book had won

RADIO SILENCE by Alice Oseman | Book Review

TITLE: Radio Silence AUTHOR: Alice Oseman PUBLICATION YEAR: 2016 GENRE: Young Adult Contemporary + LGBT Fiction PAGE COUNT: 403 FORMAT: Paperback AVAILABLE   AT : amazon   I came to know about this book through booktube . There was a booktuber who in one of her   videos started crying while talking about it. I was really taken aback by that. It was really heartening to see how a certain book can bring out such overwhelming emotions . I checked out   a few more reviews- all of which were positive   before buying this one. It was unanimously rated as a 5 star book . Obviously my expectations going into this book were super high. The story is about a girl named Frances who is extremely studious . She calls herself a study machine. Other than academics, the only thing she is obsessed with is a YouTube show UNIVERSE CITY /RADIO SILENCE . Her happiness knew no bounds   when one day, the mystery creator   impressed by her fan art   asked her to create some ar